Tuesday, January 21, 2014

thinking about old beautiful friends

I don't want to be a downer tonight but this is a photo of Eddie Michaels who passed away a few months ago. I was just going through some photos on my old phone when I found it. I got to know this beautiful man in 2010, after I got out of UCLA and we became very, very close. He had had a brain tumor in 2006 that would not go away, he fought so bravely, but he eventually passed. He was one of the bravest, warmest men I've ever known, and I miss his humor and his council so very much. I wrote a string quartet for the funeral which seems like so little now, but when I listen to the piece I feel his presence very close to me. We talked for hours about our mutual understanding of life and what that means to us since our near death experiences. At the end of the day I know this. Life is short, it must be lived, ever day is a gift not to be taken for granted and laughter and music is
essential to healthy living.
So on that note, remember to hug 12 times today and everyday to keep the Doctor away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment