Tuesday, January 21, 2014

We all should give back. BAFTA LAUSD

We should all give back. What do I mean by that, I don't mean money. I mean time. It's not hard to give a homeless man a dollar on the off ramp of the I10 and Crenshaw, or put a $5 dollar bill in the charity box at your church or temple, but time in our busy lives is really hard. Yes, money is important but what about time, your time. When I was a music student at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama I got heavily involved as a musician in the community around me, performing and organizing workshops in prisons, hospitals, schools and community centers. In 1992 I came to NYC and in 1996 I won an ASCAP award as composer in residence at the Metropolitan Opera, that was almost 20 years ago. When I woke up from my coma i was so happy to be alive and I so desperately wanted to give back, but it's taken me 3 years to figure out what I should do. I'm sorry it's taken so long. I thought about running a marathon, going on a long bike ride for charity, but that's not me. I've recovered so I'm going back to doing what I know and love. I'm going be working with a group LAUSD high school kids, they'll be writing the music for a BAFTA/LAUSD performance of A Mid Summer Nights Dream. The kids will we coming to my studio every Wednesday afternoon for a couple of hours and together we will create the score and they will perform the music during the performances.
More on this as we get going.

Tomorrow I'm going to share a little about a very will kept secret. In the meantime remember one and all, 12 hugs a day will keep the doctor away. if you don't have a loved one or a cuddly pet I urge you to go to my kundalini yoga, NINE TREASURE YOGA, you will find warmth and love 9am every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment